Friday, July 20, 2007

It is probably nothing, but…

These really aren’t the words you want to hear in relation to your unborn child. Sure, there are much, much worse things to hear, and all of us have played out those scenarios in our heads, so I am not going to go there.

During my last appointment, the OB mentioned that the results of my level 2 scan were not in my file (the ultrasound practice operates independently of my OB/GYN practice and sends the results to the doctor’s office a few days after the u/s is completed). She said she would find my results and give me a call only if there was a problem. That evening, the phone rang, and as soon as I saw the caller ID, my heart started pounding. I did not expect the call; I was so certain that everything looked good—that’s what the radiologist said during the scan. When I picked up the phone, the conversation started with those five words: “It is probably nothing but…” I had to sit down, just in case. The OB did not like what she saw on the pictures of the baby’s face. The pictures of the lips and mouth were either not clear enough or nonexistent (I was panicking, so I can’t remember for sure). She asked if we had any family history of cleft lip or cleft palate. I said that I did not think so, but there is a lot in my family history that I don’t know about. “Would you like to go in for another scan?” Of course, I said yes.

To be completely honest, I am not that worried, which is evident by the fact that I have not googled the condition at all—and that is pretty rare for me. I do actually believe her that it is probably nothing. If it is, indeed, a cleft problem, we’ll deal with it. There are far, far worse things that can happen. I even hesitated to write this post, especially after what Bumble, Watson, Faith and Julia have been going through these last couple of weeks with their babies. But as today’s scan approaches, I am getting more nervous. The baby is a month older now—what if they see something else that wasn’t quite obvious before? What if?

I had lots of worries when I was pregnant with Child, but probably not more than any “regular” first-time mom (meaning, one who did not experience IF or pregnancy loss). He gave us quite a few scares in the first trimester with lots of cramps and bleeding, but even after that, I worried. I worried about what I ate and drank, I worried about accidentally waking up on my back, I worried about water being too hot when getting my pedicure, I worried about not doing enough Kegels, I worried A LOT about labor. (It is amazing how much I do not worry about any those things this time around.) Back then, I could not wait to finally have him out of my body just so I wouldn’t have to worry so much. And then he was born, and I realized that the real worry had only just begun.

You never stop worrying about the “what if.”

2 comments:

Sarah said...

that is scary, and definitely worth blogging about. you can't worry about whether your concern is silly compared to someone else's. like you said, we all worry for all sorts of reasons and there's no relative scale. as you know, just worrying that your toddler is going to be cranky at dinner is reason enough for concern. anything that causes you the slightest concern about your child's well-being is a valid worry.

one of my dearest friends has a cleft lip and palate baby who is now about a year old and has been through all the surgeries so if you get to that point and ever want to hear more details let me know. but as you know there are often things that are unclear in the scans and there's a great chance everything is fine. from all the reports in the blogs lately, it seems like they find reasons to scare us unecessarily on a regular basis.

hope the new scan reveals good news. i'll be checking back constantly for an update!

JW said...

Hey Kate, I'm so damn sorry you've been given such a scare. I really hope that everything is okay and that it was "just nothing". What is going on lately huh? Are they TRYING to make us all crazy? Hang in there and please let us know how it went. Thinking of you x