Thursday, March 15, 2007

Ultrasound

[I wrote this entry yesterday, but I could not bring myself to post it because of this and this. I cried and cried. I do not deserve this happiness when there is so much sorrow in the hearts of these two wonderful women. So I felt guilty posting. I am so sorry, Adrienne and Larisa.]

I had a few panic attacks this morning before the ultrasound. Shortness of breath, clammy hands, heart pounding so hard I thought my whole body was shaking. “You shouldn’t worry so much,” Husband said, “it is not good for the baby.” “I can’t just turn it off,” I snapped back. I did really well since last week, but last night, the panic set back in.

“We could expect anything,” Husband reminded me when we parked the car. “Yes, anything,” I thought and tightened by grip on his hand.

I did not look at the screen. I covered my eyes with my hands. It felt like I was here just yesterday. I could not stand the thought of seeing another disappearing life.

And then she said, “And here is your little person.” My heart stopped. “And I see a heartbeat,” I heard Husband say. And all of a sudden, I felt as if I woke up. I looked at the screen and I cried. She said the baby looked perfect, measuring precisely at 6 weeks and 3 days, with a heartbeat of 113. I cried again when she left the room. I buried my head in my husband’s chest. He hugged me. “We are having a baby,” he whispered, and I saw that his eyes were wet.

By the time I got home, I felt different. I felt free. It felt real. I have a baby with a beating heart. I don’t know why I feel so positive. I have made it this far before; it was a month later into the pregnancy that it all crashed and burned. But I am not going to question it. I can’t completely turn off the worry, but I want to allow myself to feel good about this. We are having a baby.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You ABSOLUTELY deserve this happiness, and don't you EVER believe otherwise. My sadness will pass and I hope I'll be joining you on the other side some day. And, if not, I'll learn to be at peace with that, too.

Enjoy and be happy.

Sarah said...

hurray for allowing yourself to be happy! you'll worry enough, gotta grab the happiness when you can. and thank you for posting it, we need good news in blogland too! we need to be reminded sometimes of the joy.

JW said...

Yay Kate, thats fantastic news, I'm so happy for you!!! Enjoy it, you really deserve it!

Sarah said...

thanks, kate, for all the exclamation marks! i'm having such a hard time believing that hpt (and risking getting my hopes up). all the happy comments have really helped me try to be in the moment and just enjoy it. thanks, and best wishes for continued happy thoughts on your end!