Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Conversation

This conversation happened as I was putting Child to bed tonight.

Child: Mommy, what does this ring mean?

Me: It means I am married to Daddy.

Child: Oh [disappointed]... But I want to be married to you.

Me: But you can’t be married to me. You can’t marry your mommy.

Child: Not even when I grow up?

Me: Not even when you grow up. But when you grown up, I hope you will find a person whom you will love very much and you will want to spend the rest of your life with her.

Child: [tears in the eyes] But what about you?

Me: What about me?

Child: [tears now flowing down his face] But I don’t want to be away from you. I will miss you.

Me: [fighting back the tears] Well... Maybe you can still live with us.

Child: Could you please make sure Baby will live with us then too?

Me: OK.

For the next few minutes, as I listened to him listing all of the girls he currently knows and pondering to himself which one he would marry, I could not keep the tears from coming. His love is so pure and so unconditional it makes my heart ache. I know that some day I will be counting the days until we can get him out of the house. I know that some day he and Baby will fight and scream how much they hate each other. I know that living with your grown children is not anyone’s vision of a happy retirement.

But today... today the thought of being away from him is as scary and heartbreaking and unfathomable to me as it is to him.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

That is so sweet!

Sarah said...

i completely understand. and am working VERY hard at not tearing up right now. there is nothing harder for me to think about these days than the passing of time.

Kate said...

That is so sweet! I remember my little brother saying he was going to marry my mom.

Anonymous said...

I've got tears welling in my eyes just putting myself in your shoes. What a sweetheart!