Friday, August 31, 2007

Honey Sweet

When I first found out that Child was going to be a boy, I was a bit concerned. What am I going to do with a boy? I had no idea how boys worked. I am a girl, after all, and an only child. My mom is a girl, also an only child. My side of the family did not have any exposure to little boys for many, many years. So I felt a bit unprepared for all the boy things. Will I be able to relate to a little boy? In retrospect, my thinking and my concerns were very stereotypical and somewhat sexist. I worried about how I would deal with his thrill-seeking nature, complete lack of fear or inability to stay put for a minute without running off to do something. All those are huge parts of his personality, and I have learned to accept and love them because they are what makes him who he is—a very typical boy. But what I was not prepared for was the amount of love, the compassion, the sweetness, the sensitivity and the caring that are housed in his little body. Nowhere did these attributes exhibit themselves more strongly than in relation to the coming baby.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Child: Mommy, where is the baby going to sleep?

Me: He will sleep in mommy and daddy’s room in a little crib.

Child: Can the baby please sleep with me in my room? My bed is big enough, and I can keep the baby nice and warm and rub his back if he cries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we first told him that a new baby was growing in mommy’s tummy, he asked two questions: How did the baby get there and how is it going to get out. Interestingly enough, although Husband and I discussed how to share this news with Child on several occasions, we were not prepared for those questions coming from a three-year-old. But we managed. Our very basic explanation seemed to satisfy him, and then he said, as if he has been thinking about this for years, “If the baby is a boy, we will name him Alex. If it is a girl, we will name her Sarah.” Mind you, he does not know anyone named Alex, and while we have a friend named Sarah, Child does not see her often enough to think of her name right away. After we found out that the baby was a boy, he renamed the baby Fireman Sam (after a PBS cartoon) and there is absolutely no arguing with him about it. “It is not Sam. It is Fireman Sam.” I think it is starting to grow on me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Child: Mommy, is it dark in your belly?

Me: Yes, it is pretty dark.

Child: I don’t want the baby to be scared. Do you think we can get the flashlight to the baby through your belly button? I can share it with the baby, and he can give it back to me when he doesn’t need it anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Every night, before he goes to sleep, he kisses my belly and says goodnight to the baby through my belly button. The routine is repeated in the morning when he wakes up, except at this time, instead of whispering, he treats the belly button as the loud speaker.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Child: Mommy, can the baby come out now? I really, really miss him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During a recent severe thunderstorm, he hugs my belly and says: “Don’t worry, baby. I am here with mommy and I will keep you safe.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before heading to the hospital to check on the baby when I fell, Child rushed upstairs right as we were heading out the door. Lots of commotion ensued, and he finally emerged from his room dragging the baby car seat, the baby bouncer and a few baby toys that were stored in his closet. “We have to get these set up for the baby. When he comes home, I want him to know I have been waiting for him.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seriously, sometimes his sweetness makes me cry.

8 comments:

Brandy said...

Just reading all those lovely things made me want to cry. What a sweet little man you've got there!

Anonymous said...

What an adorable little man!

When my son was born I had the same apprehensions you did. Now I can't imagine I ever wanted him to be a girl.

Unknown said...

That is seriously one of the most adorable little boys I have ever heard of! He will make a most excellent big brother.

Rachel said...

You have a precious son! What a caring older brother for this new addition to your family.

AR said...

Awww, how precious!! I love the stories. so glad he is in good spirits and all is well following that tumble you both took... scary. Stay safe

Sarah said...

okay so ignore my questions about where you're going to set up a crib.

my 5 year old neice has been the strongest voice of hope in all this for me. she presses her face to the belly and says "don't cry baby, don't cry" and tells it she loves it. so cute.

Anonymous said...

As a variant, yes

Anonymous said...

I advise to you to look a site, with a large quantity of articles on a theme interesting you.